Monday, June 15, 2009

The "IMPORTANT" Things of God

"…But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.” Luke 15:20 NIV


On every fifth Sunday in Madisonville, those calling themselves Christians come together under the same roof for Sunday evening service and worship in the pattern of which ever denomination is taking their turn in the rotation of host. Just my opinion, but I believe this is the only time the church family of Madisonville comes together and it is unfortunate to be an event taking place so seldom. On other days, the church “fractured” in so many different groups will come together for worship and class time. The term “those calling themselves Christian” has not been a common term in my fellowship over the years because I/we have always referred to others as either being Christian or not. In other words, if they believe as I/we believe they are Christian and if not, they are lost. Even when members of my fellowship can agree certain things might not be wrong and a matter of choice, the usual statement does not stay hidden for long, “but you would have to agree baptism for the remission of sins is necessary for one to be a Christian.”


In my youth, I was taught to “explain away” any challenge to baptism and while I still read and believe baptism is for the remission of sins, my study of scripture has led me to believe God is the author of salvation and will use the blood of His son on those He decides are His according to His plan and not according to my understanding of His plan. (I will probably take a look at these challenges in another blog but that is not the intention of this current post.) My understanding of Gods plan to forgive sin allows me the joy of understanding my personal salvation and none other. In this belief, I don’t have to accept or reject someone due to their belief concerning the plan of salvation. Instead, I can accept the work of God in the life of anyone working to promote the righteous values and Christian life we are called to emulate in Christ and promote Him in my life side-by-side those I was taught were going to hell. Determining who and who is not saved, is not the work to which we are called in Christ.


In my past, I would say “they don’t teach the truth,” referring to the difference in traditional approach to worship and human understanding of the bible we both read. This statement ignored so many people diligently in study of the bible to discover the will of God for their life. I also came to realize this statement actually accused others (not me) of twisting scripture to meet their own belief. I was not guilty of twisting scripture because any one taking the bible simply for what it said would come up with the same conclusions as me. My current belief is much simpler because I now believe the most important teachings in the bible are those to which none of our groups have disagreement. In fact, my belief is the will of God for us (the commands we obey if we love him) are confined only to these things of which there is no disagreement in Christian circles.


Our attitude toward others should be one of “so what if you have a praise team and we don’t, let’s get back to work on what is important.” “So what if you don’t understand baptism the way I do right now, let’s get back to what is important.” “So what if you have a kitchen, use instruments, use multiple cups for communion, take communion each week or once a year, have bible classes, use movie clips, preach the fear of God or the love of God, and whatever else might be argued in our circles. We all need to be diligent in the important things of God if we are to truly worship Him in spirit and truth.


Taking a look to our bibles, we have God recognize those who will be welcomed into heaven (Matthew 25) and passages like Ephesians five describing those who will have no inheritance with Christ. The problem I have had growing up is the ability to accept the idea of the important things to me, those things of which we argue and split over, are not the important things of God. Yes, I am calling my belief UNIMPORTANT and who am I or who is the reader to claim their belief is important? Where were any of us, as God asked Job when He created/formed the universe? Who am I to say, “I understand God,” and yet many still profess their “correct/right” understanding of God. How wonderful it would be if we could simply get on with the IMPORTANT things of God!


I started with a quote from Luke 15 and will end this post with the relevance of this passage in my thinking. Throughout history, the people of God habitually turn from Him and while still thinking they are people of God, they allow their hearts to wander far from God. Christ came and forgave ALL SIN! Knowing this, I have to believe our heavenly Father is watching 24/7 for those who desire the renewed relationship provided in the death of Christ. Are our sins forgiven in the act of baptism or were they forgiven on the cross is an argument between so many and yet, we know sin is forgiven by Jesus. The parable says the father noticed him when he was still far away and ran to him. The father knew his son was coming home and there is no way he was going to allow the homecoming not to happen. I don’t see God any different and believe God will not allow failure in ANY he sees coming to Him regardless of how far away they might be in their understanding once God sees us coming home!

2 comments:

  1. Mike,

    What is baptism with regard to remission of sin? Is it the physical act that remits the sin or the belief that it remits? What about future sin?

    RD

    ReplyDelete
  2. RD,
    You ask good questions and so I will give you my answer and not the answer of my youth. As for sin being forgiven, I believe God uses the blood of His son to forgive sin and so anyone given eternal life at judgment will be given eternal life through Jesus Christ.

    I also believe eternal life is and has been available to all men/women of every generation regardless of "man-preached" words and yet not all, like those mentioned in the opening chapters of Romans, will know and have joy in their salvation.

    In my human wisdom, the bible makes me believe remission of sin is found in baptism and yet many things I can't comprehend make me believe baptism is not the complete plan of God for salvation since many of those I/we accept as being poised to receive eternal life would not do so if baptism is mandatory (I will go into this in another blog).

    I also believe God knows us better than we know ourselves and has given us a point of reference for knowing of our salvation. The passage in Peter's epistle makes me believe this when he says baptism is a confession of a clear/clean conscience to God.

    Ultimately, the position of those in my heritage has been one of (1) not baptized for the remission of sins you go to hell and (2) if you are baptized for the remission of sins you MIGHT go to heaven if you have been found faithful. How much of being found faithful is not defined so we constantly live under the fear of a vengeful God ready to pounce on us and throw us into the lake of fire. Baptized for any other reason, in the position of my past thinking and you will still go to the lake of fire because you would be wrong.

    I accept my wisdom as the foolishness of God and believe God has His arms stretched out to those turning to Him and He, being the author of our salvation will also be the finisher of salvation according to His complete plan, likely outside of my ability to reason.

    What can I do? I can tell people of Jesus and His saving sacrifice. Who am I to limit the possibility of saving anyone outside of my human ability to reason from what I know.

    ReplyDelete