Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What IS Actually Stated?

In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord. But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering , but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. Genesis 4:3-5 NIV

Still thinking of my "New Year's Resolution," I thought I might briefly mention one of the stories in the Bible where we have often taught more than is actually stated by the passage. I was reminded of this because my 7th grade bible class has been focusing on anger this week and our book uses the story of Cain and Abel to open our discussion for the week.

The author of the book makes a point to tell the reader why Cain's sacrifice was not acceptable to God. The reason given and the one I was brought up being taught was how Cain's sacrifice was of the soil and not a "blood" sacrifice (checking with some of my brothers and sisters tells me that this is not much of a belief any longer so BRAVO).

My question to those saying it was not acceptable because it was not a blood sacrifice seems pretty simple. Where does the passage tell us of this deficiency. From the quote above, we can suggest some possibilities but even our suggestions are little more than "my opinion." One suggestion might be how Cain offered "some" of the fruits and Abel offered the "fat" portion of his firstborn. As I read the passage, it looks like Abel offered the best of the best and Cain just took some of what he had and made an offering.

I told the kids how I almost get the feeling of Cain's sacrifice being in response to Abels offering and not something that he really desired in the heart to give. I then followed up with what has become our class statement and reminded them how this was "my thoughts" and not from a biblical statement.

Speaking to one of the other bible teachers between chapels, I mentioned how thankful I am for those who encouraged me to read for myself and not accept what I have been told "as truth." As I discover more and more of what has been taught to be without support in the bible, the fuel of excitement found in each new discovery brings a great sense of joy.

Much like our government, we have been weakened by accepting what we are told. As I witness the swelling tide of those excited about the message actually found in the bible, when they read for themselves, I can also hope (politically) to find people who will examine our country in the same light.

People like control and to control great masses of people, we need to have them believe we know what we are talking about. We only lose our control when people begin to think for themselves.

1 comment: