Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Law of Moses and Worship

October went by and I am sure that some may be pleased to see me disappear from blogging. For some reason, I felt a need to make sure my focus was on my preparation for class and the students I would be addressing. 7th grade bible class continues to be a source of joy and I love to hear what comes from the mind of those kids when they are allowed to express their thoughts in a hostile free environment. We focus on a different bible character each week and yet we still have plenty of time for "what do you think" in class. From one of our lessons, we have begun using the phrase biblical or non-biblical to preface points of our discussion. Not obvious to many I have grown up around and yet extremely obvious to 7th graders is the concept that a direct statement from God in the bible is biblical and a statement from me or the student concerning the meaning of something in the bible is usually non-biblical and only our own ability of reasoning.

I have enjoyed the first two lessons of our Wednesday night focus on the churches addressed at the beginning of Revelation called "Who Turned Out The Lights" and tonight as we discussed the church at Smyrna, I wandered off topic just long enough to consider something I am bringing up with very little thought. Indeed, you might just have to check for yourself because it is completely off the top of my head with no preparation spent going back to the Law of Moses for a refresher of what is written.

I came up with a simple question. What has the Law of Moses to do with worship in the Old Testament? As I briefly considered the topic and even asked a few people to make comments on the subject, I quickly got the answer I am currently thinking. NOTHING!

Possibly, a refresher is needed and I am definitely open to the reader who might post and give me an example I was to lazy to consider for myself. However, I believe the Law of Moses was given as instruction to the way God wanted His people to live. Some things required under the law might be considered worshipful and yet I don't see the Law of Moses as instructing the people of God in worship.

If the premise of my thought can be verified (which I currently think is the case), then the Law of Moses has nothing to do with worship and the instruction of worship in the Old Testament has nothing to do with the Law of Moses. I know I have mentioned before how I believe a person might currently find the Law of Moses of no value to our salvation and would also state how if the Law was "nailed to the cross" as was taught by my heritage then eliminating it from the bible for the purpose of our use today would still leave us with much information concerning God and His will for mankind.

Looking at this question, I simply believe the Law of Moses was the way of God given to His people requiring them to actually be 100% obedient and the New Testament gives us a new way of life where our perfection is given in Christ and our obedience is wrapped up in living a "failed" life as we attempt to transform ourselves into the likeness of Christ.

In closing, I believe the physical act of worship has never had anything to do with our salvation under the Old Law or the New Law. In the very words of Jesus, we are told the worship will not be on the mountain or in the temple but rather something new. Worship in spirit and truth will be the kind of worship fragrant and fully acceptable to God.

The "acts of worship" as we often describe them today are simply artificial and of no real value to God. The value of these acts is found in what they do for us in the form of encouragement to be Christ-like. The acts of worship possibly can't be described any better than in the Psalms and yet we argue over those things which our human reasoning can accept as acceptable.

I am reminded of how my grandfather carried a small New Testament and Psalms with him in his pocket. I have never seen it stated but believe the Psalms were thought to be important even though the rest of the Old Testament was "not needed" for our daily walk with Christ. Maybe someone will correct me with the true reasoning for the Psalms to be added to the New Testament but I currently believe it is because it instructs in all we need to consider as we daily walk with Christ.

The heart of David, a man after God's own heart, is modeled in Psalms for us so we can transform our heart to be one after God's, as well.

2 comments:

  1. Mike, All scripture is given for instruction. The act of worship is an outward expression of our love of God. This bible in and of itself is not nearly enough, but the working of the Holy Spirit educates us beyond the bible. Too much of the bible is misunderstood. I heard recently, if all you can use is the bible to defend the faith, you'll lose. I believe it. In my younger life, I was taught the old law was nailed to the cross; so what; it's true our salvation is in Jesus Christ, or the BLOOD, but remember ALL scripture is given for instruction. You can't possibly neglect, for neglecting the whole would be to miss out on something really special from the LORD. Oh thank you Lord for the freedom we have; what a gift and thank you for the eternal life we have and can enjoy now. It's in everything, and in all things.

    Love you Bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RD,
    Good to hear from you and yes, I think I know where you are coming from. We have the same heritage and yet you were quicker to see the nonsense in what we were taught. It is sad that more of us can't see the fact that all of the scripture was given and relevant for our instruction. I fell right in step with the Church of Christ "official creed" for a long time and I like the rest of my heritage trapped in the belief of being able to SAVE OURSELVES by doing things right, also nailed everything prior to Christ to the cross and ignored getting to know God.

    ReplyDelete