Monday, July 12, 2010

Fundamental Principles?

Recently, I was speaking with one of my good friends and he mentioned a book to me he referenced in a lesson. The book was "Fundamental Principles of Serving The Lord's Supper" by Jonathan Walker Sr.. I think he knew the mentioning of the book would get my blood flowing a bit faster but I don't think he considered this flow of energy would cause me to order the book. After ordering the book, I sent an email to Al Maxey asking if he had heard about the book and he informed me of his latest book which, after ordering a book, I believed might fit right into my biased opinion of what is still taking place in the church, was all the encouragement I needed to order one I believed might actually be a blessing to myself and others. I have not received Al's book yet but based on his past level of writing, I will go ahead and recommend the readers ordering one for themselves. I will also read and make comments about his book when I get it in the mail.

My argument against the book by Jonathan Walker Sr. does not challenge his desire to bring the Lord's Supper to a higher criterion and deeper understanding that will strengthen the congregation through spiritual encouragement. My reading of the book also gave me some short comments which I might find useful at sometime in the future when I have the opportunity to speak prior to the Lord's Supper.

My disgust with the book is found primarily in the two areas of (1), "the need for a guidebook concerning the preparation, implementation, and supervision of communion" and (2), his decision, not the instruction of the bible, to preface many statements with the word "must." I won't waste the readers time with how I feel about a "rule" book to follow for the Lord's Supper but I fully believe it reflects the church I grew out of and the need to do church in the RIGHT WAY! Someone might as well instruct me the the right way to love someone or accept love from someone because I fully believe an instruction manual on the Lord's Supper is nothing more than an attempt to instruct me on the proper way to feel and be loved by my Savior.

There is much more to be said about the "must" statements and in an effort to keep this post as short as is possible, I will, for the most part, show the quote and allow the reader the choice of accepting the statement as a God required must.

The first statement I noticed can be found on page 41. "The leaders of a congregation must pay close attention to the sequence of events in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and 1 Corinthians in relation to the Last Supper of Christ." While I see nothing wrong in the examination of these passages, there is no indication from God concerning the testimony becoming some sort of "guide" for the right way to partake of the the bread and cup.

In the same paragraph, he then states, "In addition to the sequence of events, there must be an equal emphasis placed on the overall preparation for and the implementation of the Lord's Supper." When making reference to the comments made prior to the communion, he states, "the comments must focus on at least one of the four scriptures quoted above." I find myself able to accept certain words of it might be a good idea or I would like to recommend but instead, we find the writer using the word must. As I mentioned earlier, some of the suggested comments provided in the book are quite good.

Following the examination of the bible passages mentioned, he then makes two more statements. "One could deduce that blessing or praying over the bread is a principle that must be adopted before distributing it to the partakers...Moreover, Jesus Christ has furnished a fundamental guideline to an orderly communion-bless the bread before it is provided to partakers.

Not necessarily using the word must, the author makes the following statement on page 44. "Also, a Christian's sole purpose is to reflect on and remember Jesus Christ when partaking in this ceremony." I would guess the process of examining the body "must," therefore, take place prior to the blessing of the bread and distribution to the partakers. In his concluding comments of chapter 3, the author reminds the reader, "Also, a communion prayer is not optional, but rather, it is essential before the bread and cup are distributed to the partakers." He goes on to say that Jesus Christ furnished the best example and while I have no problem following an example of Jesus, it is the will of man making an example more than an example.

Chapter 4 deals with the implementation of the Lord's Supper and we are told, "The communion servers must plan and rehearse the event in all aspects." When referencing the disciples traveling with Jesus prior to the Passover meal, he states, "a congregation must "make ready" the Lord's Supper prior to the start of worship." While I think most of us would agree it is not a bad idea, I'm not sure where the must comes in to play.

The following statements are taken from the discussion of the communion table layout and the positioning of servers on the communion table (I think most of us would rather have those serving communion be at the table instead of on the table but we all know what is meant).

"Because the bread is normally consumed first, the tray containing the bread should be placed in between the cups." I'm not sure where "normally" came from since we have already been told the sequence of the communion is very specific.

"The Christian assigned to preside is located at the center of the communion table or in the middle of the bread and cup." "those who oversee the Lord's Supper can determine if the active speaker will serve the communion or remain inactive during this duty." A microphone is necessary if the active speaker is positioned on the same level as the servers or when the servers are assigned to bless the bread and cup."

In discussing the service of the communion to the partakers, the author tells us, "Moreover, the servers must use both hands and lightly release the communion tray when it comes to handing off the tray to a member. However, the server should keep at least one hand underneath the tray until the server is confident the tray is firmly in the hands of the member." He goes on to remind the server of the need to make this happen even when there is a tray in each hand.

Ending chapter 4, the author lets us know of the proper way to end service, "Consequently, the communion should be closed with a simple statement such as, "This concludes the Lord's Supper" so that visitors and members have a sense that a new segment of worship will occur."

Chapter 5 deals with the oversight of the communion and opens with, "There must be one member assigned to oversee the preparation and implementation of the Lord's Supper to achieve a higher-caliber communion." A few more comments are provided below from this section.

"The process must be in writing as a reference guide for the servers and can be provided in outline format."

"Therefore, the communion may comprise of the following elements: comments at the communion table, communion hymns, prayers over the bread and cup, distribution of the Lord's Supper, and a closing communion hymn."

"A congregation must establish a worship plan that addresses each part of a worship service from announcements to closing prayer." Anyone see formula written all over this?

The required outline from above, has the following elements:

1. a written procedure regarding how the Lord's Supper is managed and how the process is integrated into the communion.
2. A plan that specifically itemizes the assigned tasks and who will be performing the tasks.
3. A summary of the executable steps within a worship plan or communion procedure.
4. A document allowing the worship coordinator to monitor the execution of the communion process.
5. The name of each member assigned to worship duty, which includes communion servers.

"As a courtesy, the servers should (nice use of word) arrive twenty minutes prior to worship service to confirm assignments."

Chapter 6 deals with the comments made at the communion table and we are told, "The active speaker is charged with preparing comments-days in advance-and reading the comments to the congregation as a form of reflecting on Jesus Christ."

Additionally, "If the active speaker reads scriptures, the passage must be short and concise, but directly related to the remembrance of Jesus Christ."

"The Lord's Supper is a separate worship event from contribution or a sermon; therefore, a verbal separation must be maintained. When the communion and collection are consecutive in the worship service, it may be confusing to some visitors, so it would be worth stating, "This concludes the Lord's Supper. Now we take up the collection."

While several appropriate comments are provided for speakers, the authors, seemingly concerned with confusion of various aspects of a worship service, often mixes the apparent requirement of baptism as necessary to partake of communion. While this has become a common tradition of my fellowship, there is no reason to believe all who love and cherish the gift of God in sacrificing his son should not partake and I believe it can be a great teaching time for our children.

He does mention, "So we gather here on the first day of the week-just as Jesus and the apostles did-to break bread and drink of the vine in remembrance of Jesus Christ's death." I'll have to look that one up because I don't remember Jesus meeting with the apostles on the first day to partake. He does come short of stating that the first day of the week is the only appropriate day but I believe it to be his belief from what is written.

All of this can be most frustrating to those who have been freed from the regulation of men to our time together but things like this written in 2009 serve as a constant reminder that we have not yet entirely broken free from our heritage and sadly, the appreciation of so precious a gift has been reduced by many to the "fundamentals" rather than the richness of our enjoyment.

While I look forward, yes with a biased expectation, to Al's book arriving, I hope the reader is able to recognize this book is written in the tradition of man and not the Law of God.

I also hope the reader might join me and order Al's book. The information is provided below.

One Bread, One Body
An Examination of Eucharistic
Expectation, Evolution and Extremism

A 230 page book by Al Maxey

Order both books from Publish America at:
www.publishamerica.com or (301) 695-1707

6 comments:

  1. Gee Mike, you read further than I would have. I'm sure they had a microphone in the 1st century, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, yes I am glad they knew how to position people and when the microphone was a must in the first century!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say to some of the "requirements" listed is, "Good grief!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, no I haven't read this book, but my goodness, what a rule book. Of course maybe this was the book that was in "force" when we were in San Diego, attending a congregation that eventually split because there was a problem with "women" passing the tray in the nursery among the nursing mothers, while the "man" waited outside the door. And, no, I'm not kidding you...it did cause a big split.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, I agree and Cathy I doubt it since it was written in 2009. I am going to keep my copy out in the open to serve as a conversation starter at school. It already caught a few eyes when I had it setting on top of the china cabinet when our life group members arrived a couple of weeks ago. One of them remarked, "I can't believe YOU are reading that."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Smith:

    Wow!
    It is amazing how you took the theme of this book out of context by extracting small quotes and developing a detail agreement for two or three sentences. However, this is not uncommon with people or preachers who mislead others via the Bible. On the other hand, I am glad you read my book and posted your comments/opinion on the blog. I do not argue Bible scripture or defend Bible scripture with people because life is too short. Likewise, I will not argue sentences extracted from my book that are taken out of context. One must read the entire chapter or subsection. I rather continue to workout my own salvation, love my neighbor, and reduce my stress by exercising.

    - Jonathan Walker, Sr.

    ReplyDelete