Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Christian Advantage

For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. Romans 2:13 NIV


Even though I am horrible at memorizing scripture, I once focused on trying to memorize Romans (I guess I might have succeeded with a book of a bit shorter length) and even though I gave up on this task, I fully believe the Holy Spirit was leading me to an understanding of Romans and our Christian lives based on the information he begins with concerning those who were Jews. While it may seem like I am stretching the words written about Jewish people to make an application about Christian mentality, it does speak to my belief about those who stand approved (covered by the blood of Jesus).


The quote above, coming from the second chapter of Romans is taken from the discussion of those Gentile people who were obedient to God’s calling to righteousness having never heard of God’s commandments given to the Jewish nation. I grew up being taught how the promise to Abraham was only to the Jewish people and then, following the death of Jesus, this promise was extended to the Gentiles. Basically, in my early instruction, I was taught those having lived prior to the death of Christ were only “eligible” if part of the Jewish nation.


I currently believe anyone having lived is covered by the blood of Jesus due to the condition of their heart and not the condition of their association with the Jewish fellowship. The following passage, also from chapter two, leads me to believe this about those living before Christ and to make the same association within our Christian fellowship.


A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God. Romans 2:28-29 NIV


Paraphrasing this passage from the bible, I have drawn the following definition of a Christian. A man is not a Christian according to his outward decision to be baptized. Nor is baptism merely outward and physical. No, a man is a Christian if he is one inwardly, and baptism is baptism of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the obedience of baptism declared in a command.


It has not been long since I made some comments about baptism and so I will not go into those thoughts again at this time. I am pleased to hear great preaching on the concept of loving God and loving our neighbor because I believe this is the totality of being obedient to the commands of Jesus.


(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, Romans 2:14 NIV


When I look at this statement concerning the Gentiles, it also leads me to believe the following paraphrased statement. Indeed, when those without knowledge of Christ and his commandments, do by nature those things commanded by Christ, they are Christian in reality, even though they do not possess knowledge of Christ.


I can’t even imagine how many times I have been told (reminded) of the “fact” salvation is not possible or even available to those who are simply “good people,” and while the teaching of my youth still makes it hard to accept this is less than fact, I can easily accept salvation being available to GOOD people who have a heart devoted to doing good due to KNOWING in their heart it is the right focus to have. I also think their obedience condemns those of us who are “fully” baptized outwardly in our lives when others know and choose to be good through a baptism of their hearts and our “circumcision” to God is little more than outward obedience in baptism; not heart for being the goodness of Christ to others.


What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? Much in every way! First of all, they have been entrusted with the very words of God. Romans 3:1-2 NIV


When making statements like this to other Christians, particularly those who have invested their lives in either being a missionary or supporting a missionary effort, it is often easy to believe the importance of missionary efforts is downplayed and many will actually make an association by which taking the message to those without Jesus would actually be taking condemnation to them if salvation were possible without the knowledge of Jesus. Yes, while it is simply a belief of mine and not stated in these specific words, I do believe salvation is not only possible but equally available to those who have never heard the name Jesus spoken in a human language.


In the passage above, I believe Paul has just informed the audience of non-Jewish people being acceptable to God without even knowing of the Law of Moses and then opens the third chapter with a very important question similar to the questions facing those who might believe we are taking condemnation to those who do not have a knowledge of Jesus simply because we might believe they have access to salvation without the knowledge. We ask the same question today. “What is the value (use) of knowing about Christ?”


Paul describes to his audience the concept of having had the word of God given to the Jew as being the value of being heirs through their Jewish lineage. They literally had the joy of knowing God and His plan for His people. I believe the same value exists for Christians today and should give us even greater reason to offer our lives and support to the work of missionary. If, as I currently believe, salvation is available to those with no knowledge of Jesus, there is still something extremely important missing in their lives.


We have great joy knowing of our salvation and we can share this joy with others who will learn of Christ and all He has done. Oddly enough, few of us live with true joy in our lives and so it is difficult for us to see sharing the joy of salvation as important when we have been trained to believe we are TAKING salvation to the lost!

1 comment:

  1. For my reading this morning, I found myself in Galatians and after reading the following passage and thinking on the comments I made last night in my writing, a very radical question has come to mind.

    "Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace." Galatians 5:3-4 NIV

    My question comes from the thoughts I had concerning the heart and my traditional belief of baptism being absolutely essential to salvation.

    Radical question:

    If my conclusion in the blog is accurate (nothing says it is), would this statement by Paul effectively declare baptism might actually alienate someone from Christ instead of bring about a relationship?

    How is that for thinking out loud?

    ReplyDelete