Friday, August 21, 2009

The Lost "Parable" of Matthew 7:22

As Jesus was sitting with his disciples one evening, Peter and the others were beginning to argue over who was wise enough to walk the narrow path. Jesus, knowing their thoughts spoke to them in a parable saying. "There was once a baby born to Christian parents and as he grew and matured through the mistakes of his youth, his parents provided the training necessary for him to recognize God as the creator of everything and he eventually came to know the son of God as the savior of the world.

Mike grew and study of the scriptures became a daily practice in his life. He could literally quote large passages of scriptures and he was not satisfied until he had reasoned every possible lesson from God's word. Constantly maturing in his devotion to God, he would be in every worship service, he would lead or take part in whatever task was assigned and he was faithful in giving a material blessing back to God each week.

For several years Mike took the word of God and spread knowledge of God's plan for man from sea to sea and even traveled to foreign lands preaching the Good News of God's son coming to save the world. His life was legendary and everyone knew of his knowledge of the scriptures and with thousands upon thousands baptized into Christ because of his devotion and teaching, Mike looked forward to judgment day.

Mike got to judgment, as all men will and do, and he was standing tall as he knew well about the EXPECTED welcome "thou good and faithful servant." Approaching God, Mike went to his knees with great joy and heard the Creator of the Universe say, "I don't know you!"

As Mike heard these words, he jumped to his feet and began to plead with God saying, Lord, Lord, I devoted my whole life to you. I preached, I sang, I baptized thousands for the remission of sin, I was baptized for the remission of my sin, I was faithfully present at every worship service, I gave of my money, I read your word every day and committed it to memory, I followed all of your commandments and many came to know of you because of my life.

God looked at Mike with a tear in his eye and said, "all these things you did BUT, when I was hungry, you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.

Depart from me, Mike. You are cursed and must be cast into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels!

The disciples were troubled by this parable from Jesus and all evening they kept repeating, "Who then shall be able to enter the kingdom of Heaven."

Finally, having enough of this distraction, Jesus stood and exclaimed to all, "O ye of little faith, do you not yet realize Heaven is not for those seen of men doing all of the right things. Heaven is not for those wise men who have discovered every nuance of God's word.

The gift I offer is offered to those who love me and love as if they were me, whether in weakness of knowledge or strength of knowledge! Knowledge is neither good or bad but your heart, not your ability to discern the "necessary" commands must belong to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment