Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Monday/Wednesday

On Saturday before Mother's Day my family met together to celebrate with our mothers at Monument Inn and have lunch. On Sunday, the first day of the week, my family met together for lunch at the Hunan restaurant.

While I can be wrong on any given point, I would question why anyone would read more into the statements above than what is actually said. I mentioned an activity on Saturday before Mother's Day and an activity this past Sunday; nothing more. I am curious as to whether anyone would make the claim some day, because of these sentences, of how I go to Monument Inn every Saturday prior to Mother's Day and spend every Sunday having lunch at the Hunan restaurant?

In my thinking, it seems ridiculous to make a bold declaration of this "assumed" fact based on these statements and yet, for most of my Christian life, I have heard these assumptions proclaimed more times than I am able to count in reference to sharing communion with each other.

I chose the title "Monday/Wednesday" for this post because, to the best of my knowledge, these are the only two days I have not shared communion with someone. I have enjoyed sharing the bread and cup with my own church family and many others outside of my normal fellowship. Oddly, some of my most memorable times to participate in communion have been with those not celebrating the communion because it was the "right" day, but rather because it was the "right" moment.

Having communion available every week, in my fellowship, has become something I enjoy and look forward to as each Sunday comes around. What bothers me concerning my past is how I was taught, using illustrations of statements made in the bible like those I used above, the first day of the week was the proper day to celebrate the Lord's Supper (strange title for something we do before noon) and how any other day of observance was contrary to the will of God. Man has reasoned in his own mind to invent a "legal" policy FOR God and yet totally ignored the statement of Jesus concerning frequency (whenever). In our human reasoning, we have even taken a view of the statements made in Acts 2 contrary to context and tried to explain away the knowledge of the "first" followers meeting every day to "break bread." These Christians did not have a "Monday/Wednesday" in their lives because every day was a celebration of communion.

I look forward to finding a Monday and Wednesday some day to share communion with other Christian brothers and sisters but more important to me is recognizing the moment to share and not simply setting a time and looking once again at communion being something I do because I am supposed to do it. I believe I would rather skip communion than to attend a service with other Christians this coming Sunday and take communion because "it is the day!"

For many still controlled by the tradition I grew up with, the thought of participating in communion on any day other than Sunday is a foreign idea to consider. When I first discovered this concept for myself, I also discovered how many in our fellowship have figured this out for themselves. Many are beginning to offer communion on Sunday and other days desired by the people in the congregation. If anyone is interested in reading comments from an elder/preacher associated with my fellowship who has written extensively on this subject, I would recommend
going to http://www.zianet.com/maxey/reflx30.htm and reading about what is said and not said concerning communion practice. In his topical index of "Lord's Supper," http://www.zianet.com/maxey/topic.htm he has written many other papers discussing this issue and also answering the many questions those wrapped up in the traditions of man are quick to use in challenging any deviation from our past in this matter.

11 comments:

  1. Mike, regardless of whether you take communion on Sunday or Thursday or any other day, scripture does say that you take it "in remembrance of Him"

    Have a great day, suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    Recently, I have come to the same conclusions PLUS more. I think you got it right...Jesus said When you do it, remember me. Paul said as often as you do it, proclaim the Lord's death...the right attitude is much more emphasized than the right time or day. Funny though, if you read the book of Acts, every example of the Lord's Supper (in reference to a memorium) is in the EVENING, never a morning! While our tribe is so set on patterns...this one seems to have been missed even though it is mentioned more than once.

    Second..we seem to put aside the whole idea in I Corinthians about taking the Lord's Supper in the proper mindset. We like to make this verse (I Co 11:27) and apply it to non Christians...the reality is he is speaking to Christians. If your mind and your actions are not what they should be...you are better off to pass it up, and then make things right and then go back to the bread and cup. If we are taking the Lord's supper without any thought or just out of ritual, it looks to me that we are asking God's judgement on ourselves. We ought to give MUCH MORE thought to this.

    The Lord's Supper is supposed to be a beautiful time to remember what the Lord has already done and what He is going to do. This bread and wine remind us that even though He died and ascended...He will return to eat with us again. It ought to bring joy to our hearts everytime we take it...I guess a solemn smile would do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne & Ronna,
    When I first started my own study of the things I had been taught, I wrote to some I trusted because I thought I was "all alone" in the strangest of thoughts. I was told this was not the case among those who read for themselves. The more I expose my thoughts and growth to others, the more I realize everyone else was just waiting on me to get going! You both are a great inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up as a child I learned about the Lord's Supper from my Grandfather. He emphasized the important of remembering the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross; and as I witnessed him do, I too began a similar reflection. Later though, it became just something I do every Sunday. At times, I would even not partake because my heart was simply not right. The true sense of what Jesus did was lost to me; until, I moved to other churches. In the Baptist church the administered the Lord' Supper at certain times during the year, but not every week. I thought this was a good practice, but later realized this too was too organized and soon lost the meaning. It was at a church in Fort Worth, where I first experienced the Lord's Supper and wept as I reflected on the sacrifice of Jesus. The whole service was all about the Lord's Supper, not a word was spoken, and not a word was sung for the entire service; about 1 1/2 hrs. When we finally took the bread and drank the wine, each person walked out in total silence. Since that experience, each time I partake, as I look into my sinful life, I recognize once again His saving grace, His sacrifice, and finally understand the meaning of true love and of the Lord's Supper. I tear up now as a write in reflection of these precious moments.

    My hopes are everyone will experince this in their lifetime. I believe it will be very much the same when we finally arrive in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, great job Mike, keep walking in faith, not sight. It's time we take a unified stand. Together, we'll all follow Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RD,
    Thanks for taking me back to Papa and all that he was and I even remember he would usually kneel and lead prayer because none of us can really "stand" before Christ when we take an honest look at our lives. One of the most memorable times of communion for our kids was taking the cup in the cup of their hands on the mountain and then seeing the "stain" of the juice on their hands where nails pierced the hands of Christ. I appreciate you being the first one to step out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a thought, but I'd think it would be neat if there were times where we can take communion with family, brothers and sisters in Christ, or whomever...over supper. It can still be reverent and a time to reflect and focus...

    ReplyDelete
  8. kj7,
    Absolutely! I think I might begin a family tradition and do this at a gathering of the family. I will talk to the family and see if we can't make our gathering even more special; more than just a prayer to be thankful for the food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've grown up as did you (duhhhh, brother!!) and yet I do still believe that the first Christians did some together on the first day to worship and partake of communion. Do I believe that this is the only day it can be done? NO, I think that believers came together every day in different homes, locations, etc. and did so to worship and take communion. I was going through a time of deep depression many, many years ago and was fortunate to have a Christian woman as a counselor. She helped me to arrange to have communion at her office, so that I could truly feel like I was still a child of God and it is an experience I will remember the rest of my life. It was truly a turning point in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathy,
    That is an awesome story about communion. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete