Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Throwing Out The Baby With The Bath Water

I know most of us have heard the expression of throwing out the baby with the bath water and yet in a congregational setting, this concept may actually keep us from doing the will of God. In case you don't know the story, the bath water collected and warmed for the family bath was used by the whole family and it was too much trouble to get fresh water for the bath of everyone and so the baby was the last one to have a bath and yes, it was in dirty water!

In my Christian heritage, we have attempted to use the same "bath water" for over 2000 years and those wishing to throw out the water and start fresh are often faced with the statement "we are not going to throw the baby out with the bath water." In other words, "this is the water that has made me clean and if good enough for me, it is good enough for everyone else." I/we have been so blinded by the bath water we call tradition, we can't see how few want to take a bath and the ones who do climb into our bath water are either left un-noticed in the filthy water to drown or they come out of the water stained (this is the way I and others have like them in the past) and bound with the chains of tradition.

Having had the opportunity to celebrate worship time with Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Catholics and many others when called upon to play my horn, I can tell you that this "demon" called tradition plagues all of us! No one wants to throw out tradition and if you know me very well, you know that singing songs with no music notes to follow is more "harmful" to my faith than the use of instruments might be to others and yet I have come to realize Mike is not and should not be the focus of what takes place in our services. In fact it is not my place or the place of any person in God's family to dictate for all what will and will not take place in our services. Instead, we all are called to LEAD spiritually by example of our loving heart placed firmly in the confidence of all that Christ has done!

The problem with my own life in the past and the lives of many today is how we are not willing to place our confidence in Christ since it may mean we have to take our confidence away from our tradition. Since creation, we have been instructed to have only one God in our lives and yet, like the Pharisees of Jesus day, we feel threatened by allowing Jesus to destroy our traditions. In my thinking, I can continue in my attempts to funnel those I can "hook" with my traditional pattern of doing church into my system of brain-washing or I can turn the tub over and make every attempt to become like the apostle Paul in his approach to becoming like Christ. His choice was to make whatever change was necessary to fit in with those he was trying to influence with the message of Christ coming into the world to save the lost. Paul did not say "I can't do this or I won't do that," but even to the point of offering and paying for a sin offering after the death of Christ, he became whatever was necessary to reach out with the message he had been given.

I am thankful each lifegroup in our fellowship has been given charge of periodic services throughout the year, and I would encourage all to follow the example of the apostle Paul and become whatever YOU think might be profitable to all. We all serve the same master and will all face the same master some day in judgment and Romans 14 tells me and everyone else to keep our mouth shut if it doesn't match up to what we believe is appropriate! I would encourage everyone in life not to filter the message of Christ through 2000+ years of tradition or seek permission to become what is necessary for the cause of Christ but rather, bravely select the stones from your nearest stream and step forth to slay the Goliath we all face in our lifes; a sinful lost world!

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful comments!
    So much truth can be lost if we look at the world through our glasses of tradition. The hard part for me is to not discount too much of tradition. I agree Paul did "become all things to all people". However, we do not have any example of Paul condemning someone for their traditions rather Paul embraced them as brothers and sisters in Christ and simply loved them.

    I agree we can not “throw out the baby with the bath water” but simply replacing the bath water once will only create the same issues over and over again.
    This point became clear to me after a service when we did not use notes for a single song throughout the service. (As many of you know I read music on about a 2-year old level so the notes don’t help me very much.) Anyway, I was approached by some others who do read music very well and they use the notes to carry the tune and worship God. They wanted to the notes especially for the songs that we as a congregation are still learning. This leads me to my point. Why do we feel like it has to be all one way or the other. Paul states “I can do all things, through Christ” that does not give us the right to judge others motives or to demand universal change for the sake of change. It is my opinion that we need to simply love people, all people, and what could be wrong with mixing in some of the new with the old.
    It does not matter if you are talking about musical notes, clapping or even using a praise team. Our purpose in coming together is to fellowship, but the praise and the worship is to God, not us.

    Thanks, Clay Knight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clay,
    I appreciate your comments and you are correct! My problem with tradition is when it is the cause of someone saying we will not do this or that or we can't do this or that. When tradition trumps Christ in our lives it is wrong.

    Also, we may need new water for each person we approach. You are right how the "new water" can be as bad as the old. As I see it, our problem is we are not being effective to those who have no relationship with Christ because we are so little like our community as we attempt to be like something 2000 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to have you blogging, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard that saying before, but I get what your saying. Thanks for being such a great christian example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, keep on keeping on. Thank you for putting God back in charge, not man. love you brother, suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne,
    I appreciate your comments so much because I have had them on my heart for some time now and everyone seems to fear discussing the will of God and the bible openly. I don't know if there is a group out there where the cancer of fear and loss of identity is not growing and challenging everyone. Ultimately, I have in my life often been found clinging to things with no importance. I need a better heart so I can become something completely different if needed and I think it is needed of many of us.

    ReplyDelete